Sunday, October 7, 2007

Day 174 Sept 30 Sun - Vidin to Scrapyard Camp in Cujmir,Romania

Spent sometime to study the Romanian map
Ok ,turn left on a small road to Dr Tr. Severin
Beautiful church in silver color , Calafat
Ferry crossing from Vidin (Bulgaria) to Calafat ( Romania)

Barking dog turns friendly eyeing on my food
Mr Telo ,thank you for the beer and the food and a nice place to camp
My camping food
Water rest stop in Romania
Scrapyard of motors

Germans cyclists staying the same hotel in Vidin
Romania custom post
Ferryboat
Scrapyard camp with nice grass and table



Today's Distance: 54 km
Today's Temp: 2o - 27c
Average Speed: 14.9 max: 54.5
Time on Bike: 3 hr 31 min
Average climb: 2% max: 9%
Trip Altitude: 176 m max: 130 m
Today's spending: 12 lev
Total spending in Bulgaria: 138.5 lev
Total Distance to date: 11274km
Today spending in Romania lei : 20 lei ( 1 lei = Rm 1.50)

I lost my cycling mood today! Don't really know the reason why,certainly not my day.Started late at 11.30am,6km to ferryboat and half an hour crossing to Calafat in Romania,was held up almost an hour by the Romanian passport control for nothing,just b'cos I came from very far east and on a funny bike,I was told to wait while he attends to others, Damned ridicules!Changed 20 euro to Romanian currency lei ( 1 eur = 3.32 lei or 1 lei = Rm 1.50 ) and bought a Romania map (12 lei) in a petrol station ,filled up my MSR. Spent sometime to study the map.Road E-79 to a big town in Craiova,but there is another shorter road 56A to Drobeta Turnu Severin. This road passing thru' many small villages on a very flat land of 80-130m closed to the Dunav River.Quite difficult to find campsite at flat land,hardly any trees,the local people like to sit in a group of 3-5 in front of the road with very friendly wave when I rode passed , and when I stopped to chat with them,they were reluctant to offer a spot for me to camp.Finally I had to venture off road 300m from the road and found a campsite outside a scrapyard building seemed deserted. 3 dogs were barking at me and a man came out, this moment I thought I had to pack and go but instead he invited me to camp inside the compound.His name is Telo staying alone and the 3 dogs to man this building. He even cycled out to town to buy a bottle of Timisoara beer , cow milk and breads . We ate and chat together. First day in Romania,happy and satisfied at end of day even though a bit of a moody start.










3 comments:

Anonymous said...

More often than not, grumpy customs n immigration give a bad first impression to foreigners. Being on the 'frontline' or border crossing makes them all important, I suppose. That's why there are kind n humble people you meet along the way to make up for rudeness or stupidity.

Here's hoping you meet more 'orang biasa' on yr ride!

Chris

Thighland Meng said...

Chris, not all custom officers are bad ,some are really friendly like in Turkey,Bulgaria

Anonymous said...

I heard from Kenny Ming.when
I am looking for REcumbent.
Pls send info to convert like yr bike, or with front drive.

Send yr email
to Kenny

Thanks
Simon