Monday, October 8, 2007

Day 176 Oct 02 Tue - Mt Stream Camp in Portile de Fier to Corn Farm Camp in Armenis

Bridge and railway track
Entrance to the campsite
20 min of morning uphill hard push back to the road


Ada-kaleh sounds like Malayian
A great picture from a great bike , great river and the mountain.
River flowing into the Dunav
Tourist ferry on the Dunav

Morning misty view of the Dunav
Orsova town by the river side
Orsova town
Statue of a woman praying for goodness to the Dunav



Riding into this beautiful town of Baile Herculane







School kids fascinated with the bike in Baile Herculane



Colorful hotel and restaurant




Corn Farm Camp
Harvesting the apples
Red apples
Green apples - very sweet and crispy than the red one
Village women selling apples by the road side

Today's Distance: 96km
Today's Temp: 16 - 31c
Average Speed: 16 max: 51.5
Time on Bike: 5 hr 58 min
Average climb: 2% max: 9%
Trip Altitude: 770m max: 569m
Today's spending: 21.50 lei
Total Distance to date: 11451km
Total spending to date:71.50 lei

Highlight for today was I broke my 3rd pair of sunglasses while stopping to take pictures over a bridge,I left it loosely on top of my merida beg , a big truck zoom passed ,my sunglasses was blown off to the center of the road, then follow up by a car which ran on it. Riding without sunglasses was quite irritating to the eyes, especially on bad dusty road. The sunglasses protects your eyes from insects or dust besides the ultra violet ray from the sun. Started at 10 am,took 20 min to push the bike back to the main road .Great morning scenery of fog over the river and the mountain. Many bridges of not less than 20 built to join up the roads. At Orsova has to turn north to leave this beautiful Portile de Fier. From here heading to the mountain road of E-70 , a road very busy with the European trucks more than cars,but the drivers earned my respect for being patient and slow down for me. 3 km off the main road,saw a very touristic town of Baile Herculane with a back view of high rocky mountain,many colorful hotels,Villas to cater for the holidaymakers . A truely good place for relaxation. Bought my 4th pair of sunglasses here ( 12 lei). Hopefully this will last me until London. Also saw many green and red apples farms taste really good - sweet and crispy

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr Meng,

I just discovered this blog. Amazing journey! I like your pictures and your stories. It will take me some time to take a look in the history of this blog, but, as from now on, I'll follow you as much as I can.

Keep up the good spirit!
Edward

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr Meng,

I just discovered this blog. Amazing journey! I like your pictures and your stories. It will take me some time to take a look in the history of this blog, but, as from now on, I'll follow you as much as I can.

Keep up the good spirit!
Edward

Anonymous said...

Hello Meng,
Ur TTK thought that u went MIA. I think u side-tracked a bit & got mesmerised by the beauty of Romania, huh. Share-lah....
After a taste of the Timisoara beer, I guess u r hooked & heading for that city itself. From Baile Herculane to Caransebes, my map shows me an elevation of 50-200m. The Caransebes, Lugoj, Timisoara stretch is practically flatland. 100 miles/day sap-sap-sue.

All the best to u ahead & stay safe.
chong5

Anonymous said...

Hi Meng,

Beautiful pics of European countryside, now it looks more like a holiday instead of a cycling expedition.
Sorry abt yr sunglasses, I've lost quite a few too and the expensive ones above US$100 like to fall off the head or pocket, I've become quite good at catching them in mid air!

Chris

Anonymous said...

明大哥: 你好,等了大概一周了,很高兴看到你再次上网。谢谢你在网络上美丽的照片,还有一些报告,天气的温度很大的差别,十五度啊。。晚上很冷吧!ttk 一直都很关心你的情况,ttk另一个称呼是(天天看tian tian kan)。。。艰难的路途可以说你已熬过了,到了欧洲好好的享受一下吧。剩余的路途,对你来说:湿湿晬。加油,我们等待你光荣的站在与巴黎塔合照的那一刻。我们永远都在支持你。 钟

Anonymous said...

Brater Meng,
We are really pleased that you are doing great. TTKs have always being very supportive of your blog as you can see virtually everyday one of us are on the look. We hope you could upload a video of your expedition soon. Big Cheers & Thumbs Up from TTKs. (WWW)

Thighland Meng said...

Edward, thanks for the visit to my blog, how did you discover?

Thighland Meng said...

chris,
I had no chance to catch it in the air or pick up from the road as the truck zoom passed and the next minute a car ran on it.

Anonymous said...

Mr Meng,

I found your blog via http://www.ligfiets.net/
a Dutch site for recumbent cyclists.
I'm sorry for you that I don't know how the webmaster got track of your blog.

Take care!
Edward