Friday, August 24, 2007

Day 130 Aug 17 Fri - Wildcamp after Svetlograd to Wildcamp after Stavropol

Victaly ,a yound cyclist leads us out of Stavropol to this roundabout
Farm land clear and ready for planting
I stop over here when I saw a underground pipe with water to bath and cool ourself. The kids are working in a contruction for 300 rur a day during their summer holidays
Sticky black earth on my tires and shoes " not so good " campsite
Victaly very helpful explaning as Heather listens very patiently

Today's Distance: 107 km
Today's Temp: 28 - 32c
Average Speed: 14.9 max: 58
Time on Bike: 7 hr 08 min
Average climb: 2% max: 8%
Trip Altitude: 784 m max: 763 m
Today's spending: 144 rur
Total Distance to date: 8546 km
Total spending to date: 3713 rur


After yesterday close encountered with the police,from now on ,whenever I see them on the road,I'll try to avoid by not looking at them or hide besides the truck, the locals asked us whether the police gave us any troubles,we understood what they meant. There are just too many on the road,you can't possibly avoid them. On one occasion,I saw one police patrol car passing me at an opposite direction,I was then cruishing at 30 kmh,I sensed one car slowing down very close to me.I did not bother to look at this high speed and coming to a downhill. Then the car overtook me " Oh my God ,It's the same patrol car ",but with one man holding a handphone seems like taking pictures or video. I waved at them with a friendly v - sign . The policeman waved back with his up-pointing thumb. They then made a quick u-turn and speed off again. It was almost 6 pm when we rode in to this big town of Stavropol. Many thanks to a young cyclist Victaly who speaks ok English, willing to cycle & lead us out of town for about 10km until a roundabout. We saw quite many cyclists in town,but according to him,there is no cycling club in Stavropol. From here, our direction to Sochi is turn right,follow road M-29. If not for his help,we sure have hard time finding ways and might end up staying in expensive hotels. We speed off in search for campsite and found this "not so good" campsite with black sticky earth on my bike tires as wellas my cycling shoes.

No comments: