Friday, August 24, 2007

Day 129 Aug 16 Thu - Wild Camp after Divonoya - Wild Camp after Svetlograd

This young man gave me a knife and choose which fruits I like.
He gave me the bullet but I say no , only photo
My problematic bike stand needed a 2nd welds for free
Our campsite under dried grass
campsite with no water

On what foods these ducks are eating beside the road
We got 9 tomatos and One due melon free from this couple

Drying our wet tents by the road side
While having a lunch stop

Today's Distance: 106 km
Today's Temp: 28 - 36 C
Average Speed: 17.2 max: 46
Time on Bike: 6 hr 06 min
Average climb: 1% max: 6%
Trip Altitude: 380 m max: 357 m
Today's spending: 195 rur
Total Distance to date: 8439 km
Total spending to date:3569 rur




The good ride today nearly spoilt by 2 notorious traffic policemen . The petrol car was hiding behind a sandy mud path.One fat big size one was sitting inside the car while the other one with boyish look was busy shooting on the coming cars with a speed detector gun.It was at 65km mark,when I was being flag down by them and demanded to see my document.Heather arrived 5 min later also being stopped. Both our pasports were with them and told to wheel our bikes to the side.The fat one pointed on my entry card and said in Russian language that my visa no. and entry date did not fill up. So I guess that's the reason.How ridiculous,I didn't even filled up the form myself,the immigration lady was too friendly enough and offered to fill-up for me. Heather's one was filled up and that Heather can go ,while I stay ! the fat one said. I knew he was trying to find fault and true enough he took out a stack of money and pointed to me a 1000 rur note.What a corrupted policemen! our impression with them so far were very friendly,helpful ,smiling with waving hand.What a pity ! " NO,NO,NO money" I replied with my fingers crossed. We were prepared to sit out and Heather took out her milo shake to make drinks. We saw many drivers in and out of the petrol car, problebly cash changed hands. The waiting game goes on while watching each other's move.At one stage ,the fat one wrote 100usd on a paper, I wrote back with 100 rur.He said "No!" back to waiting game again. A smart Heather pretending to call the Embassy with her handphone,problebly scared them,my pasport was returned shortly and told we could leave now. Before that,he asked us if we had handphones with us. I say no but Heather showed hers,he wanted to exchange but Heather say no. At this moment ,the fat one took out a 10 rur note asked me to take. Until now I still puzzled about why gave me that 10 rur note . I should be the one to give him 100 rur! What a close encounter that lasted for 1 hour but ended with a happy 10 rur note!

No comments: