Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Day 43 May 22 Tue - Camel Hoop to Hami

Boiled eggs without soya source and pepper also not bad
My rear Schwalbe marathon tire looks like new after the rain
And the front... Best accommodation in Hami with clean wash room and hot shower for 25 rmb each
Heather love this place so much

Camel Hoop guesthouse 15 rmb
Uygur lady knows very little mandarin
3000 km down!
Bridge stop with expressway under construction
Celebrating 3000km with boiled eggs





Today's Distance: 78 km
Average Speed: 17.3 max: 31.0
Time on Bike: 4 hr 29 min
Ave climb: 1% max: 4%
Trip altitude: 118 m max: 887 m
Today's spending: 52 rmb
Total Distance to date: 3050 km
Total spending to date: 2482.50 rmb



It was a WET.....WET.....WET... ride today.Morning sky normally looks sunny turned into groomy with heavy clouds and it started to drizzle at 8.00am. Heather was raring to go with her raincoat on. So I put on mine and also my Merida saddle bag raincover using for the very 1st time.Off we go into the rain. When the wind blows , and I can feel my hands is silvering and my teeth is making music, besides adding another layer of clothing, I had to pedal faster to generate heat to keep my body warm. The journey is pretty flat,no hills to climb,of course no many pictures taken too. The rain started to become heavy with a strong side wind about 10 km to Hami. We made a stop at a petrol station in front of a roundabout 5 km to Hami town. With free hot water at the station,we made hot coffee with our own biscults cos' the station don't sell anythings except petrol and lubricants. I too celebrated my 3000km distance while having lunch stop near a bridge with boiled eggs. Hami is a mystery hidden town as we took sometimes to ask around to get there as we can't see any tall buildings ,that's what the book said. After abt 1 hour,we finally rode in and surprisingly a very clean town free of trucks,buses,the air was so refreshing,whats more just after a heavy rain. We also found the best clean accomodation with hotshower and a clean toilet only for 25 rmb each.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Meng,

So long haven't visit your site... Don't have time to read. Recently may computer at home died and now I have a lot of tests, projects and assignments to do. Hope you are having more fun than I am...

Chi Fai

Anonymous said...

Hi Meng,

Good to know that you guys are doing road racing bike type of distances. Your boiled eggs stories remind me of my cycle touring days in Indonesia. I used to carry some black pepper and soya sauce in empty 35mm film containers to go with the eggs. Skippy brand peanut butter (in light plastic 'bottles') taste good too. Some made in China but the Aussie made ones taste better. Ride safe.

Chris Wee

Vincent thum said...

Hello brater,

Hope you are in the pink of health. With no proper foods during yr journey, did you actually put on or loss weight so far.

3000km down the road, way to go man. 3 cheers to you, brater.....
Meng boleh......

Anonymous said...

Hello Meng,

Great to see that you hv completed 3000km. Looks like you are having a great time!. Looking forward to see more photos and hear more stories from you. Take care and ride safely.

Rgds,
Bok.

Thighland Meng said...

chi fai,
Glad to hear that you too having fun in your tests,projects and assignments.Gone were my days on all these . I am now having funs on recreation.Hope you do well in your studies.How was your trip to Malaysia recently? Any other caving except the one in Mulu?

Thighland Meng said...

Chris,
The daily distance that we covered very much depends on the weather,road terrain,wind direction,physical condition,and lastly the targeted town that we plan to stay,if possible we will avoid wild camping .Boiled eggs without soya souce and pepper is good enough for me if you are real hungry,mostly important is that protein counts.

Thighland Meng said...

vincent,
My health is ok but I definately is loosing weight despite eating a lots.Same goes to Heather.I don't know how many kilo cos' I haven't found one public weighing scale yet.I will update this if I have the data.

Thighland Meng said...

Bok,
Thanks,definately I will. As I said before, a blog without photos is like a cake without icing on top.keep staying with me and you won't miss it.