Thursday, November 15, 2007

Day 218 Nov 13 Tue - Calais ferry to Dover (UK).Train to London and Bike to Sister's House

Close encounter with the Police at the Calais camp
On board the Seafrance Ferry
Seafrance vehicles gates
Nice flower spotted in Calais park
One of the most beautiful church in Europe I had seen

After the ferry crossing to Dover
Famous white cliff of Dover with a castle on hilltop


Now I can afford to smile more often

Train ride from Dover to Charing Cross
Another great smile
Bar & cafe restaurant hotel opposite the Dover Station for a cup of expresso and a bacon sandwich for £4
Asked to park the bike inside the Bar as bike often get lost within minutes as told by the owner



At the Trafalgar Square (wondering why the fountain is not working?)
Lions tower at the Trafalgar Square
Hello,Hello,Hello .....Love from Meng at the Trafalgar Square. See you soon in Malaysia!!!!
Charing Cross Station ,just 5 min's walk to the Square
Can't beat my B2P and P2L bike tour



Glad to be like home with someone so close.Thanks Alan and Lan ying for everything
At the Malaysia Tourism Promotion Board with Mr Terrence and Miss Mathilda







Today's Distance: 28 km
Today's Temp: 9 - 15*c
Average Speed: 12.3 max: 29.5
Time on Bike: 2 hr 15 min
Average climb: 2% max: 9%
Trip Altitude: 191 m max: 187 m
Today's spending: 31 eur
Today's spending: £ 19
Total Distance to date: 13980 km
Total spending in Euro: 710.16 eur


What a close encounter!!! as I woke up this morning,I couldn't believe that I was camping just next to a policeman 's house as I saw the patrol car parked just about 15 m from my tent. Obviously he must have not noticed my existence when came back from duty , if not I'll be in trouble. Before he wake up ,I better pack early and leave without bothering to cook my breakfast. This was my 2nd time in Calais as I still can remember some of the buildings and roads especially the tall beautiful church with a huge garden full of colourful flowers . One of the best I had seen in Europe. The ride to the ferry port took half an hour just followed the sign "car ferry". Bought a ticket for 17 eur on Seafrance as last time was on P&O. After the British passport control , I was told to wait at Lane 10. What a miserable,silvering 1/2 hr wait under the strong cold wind and shower rain . I was the only one bicycle in queue while others were sitting comfortably inside their cars. The ship with 8 decks included a duty free shop,bar,cafe & restaurant,children playground,money changer and slot machines etc.. One hour crossing to Dover - a place famous for its white cliffs with a castle on the hilltop. Cycled my way to the train station to Charing Cross in Central London,just 5 min walk to the Trafagal Square. Paid a visit to the Malaysia Tourism Promotion Board across the road. Met Mr Terrence Muda from Sarawak and Miss Mathilda C. Stanisclas from Taiping. Thanks for the warm reception and helps given to me especially the heartwarming hot coffee and biscuits made by Miss Mathilda.Once again thank you very much. Night falls early in London , I had to rely on streets and cars light for one and a half hour ride to my sister's house in Palmers Green ,north London . Mind you ,It was just 4 pm !!! I was surprised at my photographic memory as I did not made a single navigation error since last year August when I was on my mtb Europe tour. Arrived sister house at 6 pm for a well deserved rest. My sister cooked a delicious dinner of Indian Tandoori Chicken. Feeling on top of the world.

17 comments:

Xiao Wong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Xiao Wong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Congrats again on P2L! and enjoying family time.

May I suggest an idea for yr worn out front rim? Remove all the spokes, clean rim and use it as a frame for a clock that fits in.

As a conversation piece on yr wall, yr guests will know of 'dont play play, I cycled B2P and P2L and trashed both rims!' and the chain and ..........

Hopefully you havent thrown it yet.

Chris

Anonymous said...

Congras to Brater Meng, Boleh!
Its all over for the journey from B2P. Take a good rest which you deserved after a long, 218 days away from "home". You are our greatest "Wira". Take Care and you may need to nourish yourself to avoid looking like worn out Meng. With Best Wishes Always, TTK. WWW

Anonymous said...

brater Meng :take a good rest in london.. sure..ttk's wil be at klia to welcome u back home.... zhong ttk

Anonymous said...

Hi Meng,

I'm a little late... but congratulations on completing your bike ride to Paris and onwards to London. I haven't read your writings in a while - too busy studying for exams! Have to get back to studying now for my exam tonight... bye bye!

Chi Fai

kayowe said...

Again I say BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO! It has been like being with an old friend following your adventure. Those of us around the world salute you. I shall continue to check your BLOG for a while, but please let us all know when it is over. Like finishing a great book, I'll await the sequel. Have a wonderful stay with your family and a safe trip home.

kathy o (California, USA)

Anonymous said...

Very,very proud of you Meng!So big journey,so big adventure!A lifetime experience.
I am defenetly one of them who will salute you at klia on 1.st of December!Have a good time in London.Always with you!

Thighland Meng said...

xiao wong,
I like your comment in Chinese . R u from Taiwan,maybe one day i go there for biking, and would like to contact you.

Thighland Meng said...

brane,
I too love to meet you as you r one of my good supportor.Don't forget to join our ttk section,ya?

Thighland Meng said...

Chris,
i will bring back the bike but not the crack rim.R u fr Singapore? How can we meet or bike together,you too r one of my good supportor

Thighland Meng said...

ttks,
I am having a good rest and eating in my sister's house in london , to get myself recover.

Thighland Meng said...

chi fai,
looks like you have so many exams to pass. What's your ambition after school, doctor/lawyer/or what?

Thighland Meng said...

kayowe,
Maybe my next biking trip is where you belong: Across America......

Xiao Wong said...

稍作修改,把奥地利弄成德国.
打油诗是有感而发,还多包涵.

贺明兄亚欧卧骑遨游成功记

明兄美梦天下溜,
亚欧遍地卧骑游;
长城西夏历史久,
胡地沙漠热浪流。
多瑙河畔寒夜露宿忧,
巧遇奥国女郎盛情留。
攀高艾菲意未休,
犹访笨钟赏其璆.
万哩壮举成功终返乡,
马国亲友欢庆共赞优。

******************
繁體字:

明兄美夢天下溜,
亞歐遍地臥騎遊;
長城西夏歷史久,
胡地沙漠熱浪流。
多瑙河畔寒夜露宿憂,
巧遇奧國女郎盛情留。
攀高艾菲意未休,
猶訪笨鐘賞其璆.
萬哩壯舉成功終返鄉,
馬國親友歡慶共讚優。


******************

明兄,和你一样,同在马国长大.
吉隆坡中华中学毕业.台大毕业后来加.
在这已经四十年了,还在上班.
以后也许来加拿大多伦多访我.或我回马探亲,也可与你一叙.

你的壮举,令人佩服!有行动的好榜样!
真名当然不是xiao wong,有须要,以后再谈.

Anonymous said...

Are you back in Malaysia yet? It was a pleasure to meet you at the office.
I admire your courage. Keep up the good work. Do keep in touch.

Mathilda
mathilda@tourism-malaysia.co.uk

Anonymous said...

Hi Meng,

It's Chris, yes I'm from Singapore, my wife's family are in Damansara. so small world. I've got some trip reports on CrazyGuyOnABike, search my name there for contact.

Chris Wee