Thursday, November 15, 2007

Day 217 Nov 12 Mon - Camp 5km to Poix to Abbeville & Train to Camp in Calais

Had to remove the front brake pad due to crack on the rim
Morning sun at the camp 5km to Poix
Frost formed on the fly hard like a piece of paper the next morning - A real cold night!

Thought of having a good Chinese lunch while waiting for the train but was closed
Abbeville train station built in 1912
Abbeville town centre
Only bike shop in town as I was told ,closed much to my disappointment or is it a blessing???
Cracked front Alexrim due to excessive wear & tear

Another good idea from the discarded aluminium cans
Sneaked in between the bushes to camp just outside the train station in Calais
Bike parking on train ride to Calais
Abbeville train station
Waiting for the train arrival on Platform no. 2


Today's Distance: 49 km
Today's Temp: 4 - 15*c
Average Speed: 14.4 max: 52
Time on Bike: 3 hr 21 min
Average climb: 2% max: 7%
Trip Altitude: 352 m max: 204 m
Today's spending: 21.14 eur
Total Distance to date: 13952 km
Total spending to date: 679.16 eur


What a day's ride which ended in Abbeville,some 110 km south of Calais. I was forced to take a train to Calais!!My front wheel Alexrim was found cracked from the joint due to excessive wear and tear.And to make matter worst , the only one bike shop in town was closed on Monday when one guy brought me to the doorstep. The very old train station built in year 1912 was just nearby. The bike is still rideable but the risk was rather too high , I certainly do not want to end up in the middle of nowhere where I had to beg for help. I had accomplished the big mission of B2P and this P2L is just an icing on the cake.Take it easy MAN!!! Enough is Enough..... You are not a Superman!!! You are just an ordinary man crazy on bike , even the bike needed a rest!!!!
Yes, felt more relax now as decision make to train to calais .Ticket cost 15 eur ,changed to another train at Boulogne and by the time the train arrived in Calais already 7.00pm . Sneaked myself in between the bushes for the campsite just out from the train station. Cooked the dinner almost 11pm when almost nobody around as I afraid too early people might be alarmed by the smoke from the firewood . This would probably be my last camping , tomorrow I will be resting in my sister's house in London. Hot shower,warm queen size bed and a delicious dinner...What a feeling ,sweet dream tonight!!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice end! hopefully your blog will conintue..

Anonymous said...

continue..

Thighland Meng said...

bernd, Yes i will continue to update especially i wanted to show the pictures of london and the big welcome home from my ttks. Will u be there at the klia?

Anonymous said...

"Will u be there at the klia?" = Kuala Lumpur International Airport.
Sorry, I won't. I enjoyed your long bike tour very much!