Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Day 198 Oct 24 Wed - Munich to X'mas Trees Camp after Augsburg

The half open gate to the X'mas tree camp
Was held up 2 hours in Augsburg trying to find this road sign to Ulm on Rd 10

Hate to go on the bike lanes in Germany
On the way to Ulm
Stuck in Augsburg
Around Augsburg
X'mas Trees Camp, Well hidden!


Beautiful town ( can't remember the name) I passed on the way to Augsburg





Today's Distance: 80 km
Today's Temp: 4 - 12°c
Average Speed: 16.7 max: 50
Time on Bike: 4 hr 47 min
Average climb: 2% max: 6%
Trip Altitude: 327 m max: 634 m
Today's spending: 40.85 euro
Total Distance to date: 12811 km
Total spending to date:336.85 euro


My earlier plan was to shift to a cheaper hostel for another day in Munich,but decided to ride,all b'cos of a very good weather when I woke up in the morning.No rain no snow,the road was dry and the temp was right 8°c.Started at 11 am, again sneaked in another packed of sandwich from the hostel breakfast,but no boiled eggs this time.Rode out of Munich was rather smooth, following Rd 2 to Augsburg,a real joy to ride under this "perfect weather" just like back home rides of hill resorts of Cameron Highland and Fraser Hill.But the joy was short lived when I rode into Augsburg and was held up for nearly two hours to find the way out to Ulm on Rd 10, no less than 10x I had to ask around for direction. And all of the sudden,I was caught by a police car for going against the red traffic light. Two policemen demanded a fine of 36 euro after knowing that I have a cash of 50 euro. I am really surprised. I thought the police here are well pay and need not to demand cash from a poor visitor on bike! After some reasoning and tricks again,I was left off with a warning. Finally after many anxious moments,I saw the road sign to Ulm on Rd 10, 73 km away. What a big relief! Now to look for campsite as it was almost dark at 6.30pm. Found this X'mas trees camp near the bike lane,obviously belongs to someone but the gate was half open,with nobody around, I set up my tent in between the 8 foot tall X'mas trees,well hidden.Hopefully the owner don't come and disturb at night or the next morning before I left....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Two policemen demanded a fine of 36 euro after knowing that I have a cash of 50 euro."

Never show money and just tell them to send traffic ticket to embassy. Your are not forced by law to pay a traffic ticket immediately! The ticket will expire without paying. I know!

Anonymous said...

Hello Meng!

Great to know that you've travelled so far now! And great effort in posting up new blog post everytime!

In view of what bernd has said...just bear in mind that in Germany ...there are con men who always poses to be policemen..and cheat travellers...So be careful...

Take care my friend! Look forward to your new updates soon!

regards,
Sian Jeen