Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Day 7 April Yanggao to Datong

This was our 3rd night of camping at Yanggao after we were turn away
Ice droplets formed in the morning on top of my tent
A grand welcome dinner hosted for us by the wildcamel club members
A yum yum local dishes that were ordered
A school bus with school children offering us a ride b4 Yanggao

Today's Distance: 66.0km
Average Speed: 14.8 max: 52.o
Time on Bike: 4 hr 28 min
Ascent: ave 2% max: 7%
Max altitude: 1302 m
Today's spending: 185 rmb
Total Distance to date: 447.7
Total spending to date: 509.5 rmb


The morning woke up found my tent were having ice droplets when i tried to flip them away with my hands. I donno how i survive the nite. The temp must have dropped to zero! It was rather a boring ride along the 301 highway as you only see cars / trucks speeding away and most of the few houses that we saw were deserted due to lack of business. We didn't have a good breakfast except for a cup of hot coffee. 50km to Datong was not that easy as we thought as we rode against a strong headwind and down to 10 -15 km/h most of the time. Luckily there was a nice downhill 10 km b4 Datong and i recorded 52km/h. We called up Mr Jie from the wildcamel clib and were directed to their club house. The club has a bike store that sell frame and accessaries.

They happily invited us to stay here as to save money for our journey ahead. Jolly nice people here. I bought a thicker sleeping bag from the club for 165 rmb,very cheap and tested really keeps me warm. The best is we were given a grand welcome dinner just like a Chinese wedding dinner back home. I almost got myself drunk after several round of "yum seng" means Cheers in english.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! How I wish I'm there.. it seems the food is better than Malaysia.. How's the ride uphill?? I hope the recumbent is giving you a good ride.

cmfoo

Thighland Meng said...

Marvellous!!!! so far i have no problem the same goes for the recumbent even heavily loaded. The food is ok to me but what touched me most is the hospitality of the people we met especially from the www.wildcamel.net . I missed teh tarik and fried kui teoh back home.

desertrose said...

Great to see your blog up and going. I have been following your progress from Heather and Ulla's website, thanks to Stanley. Are you warm enough? Judging from the "tennis ball" windbreaker (that you fold into the size of a tennis ball), it looks like you are under-packed. Amazing to read about the warm welcome by the locals, sure helps to speak Mandarin. You miss teh tarek? If you have a forwarding address, I can courier to you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Meng,
I'm back to ur blog, quite busy recently but i`ll update ur blog once i free.
you were lucky to meet wild camel club n offer u drink,eat(how about girl?) haha.
What had you done after drunk? sleep with china “xiao jie” is a great idea? Right? haha

Yeah, desertrose. I found something amazing, DHL provided the best delivery services among other competitor as they shown their advertisement in TV. (but then DHL means "Dua Hari Lambat")

I worry meng ady moved to another town if you delivery with DHL service.

Anywhere, wish you all the best.

Best regard,

Amos

Stanley said...

The food looks better than the food I am eating everyday man...you must be enjoying yourself.

I am also surprised with the hospitality of the local people you have met. Indeed very different from the city folks who tend to have a history of scamming foreign tourists...

Maybe knowing Mandarin helps you a lot here.

Stanley said...

...after reading through Heather's blog & pics....I can see that the three of you have somehow become local celebrity.....yummmmmmm sennngggg..

Stanley said...

Meng,

If you can give us your coordinate...we can see where you are using this website:

http://wikimapia.org/


Cheers

Thighland Meng said...

Desertrose,
I am not warm enough,it is really cold for the past one week esp in the morning and night.Don't worry ,i had bought a thicker sleeping back and a wind breaker track bottom in Datong.Teh tarik just a dream here. i am drinking beer here most of the times cos' very cheap for 4 rmb a bottle.

Thighland Meng said...

stanley,the food here is only ok to me. I still miss Malaysia food ,but i had to eat a lot in order to cover such a long journey.People here are really friendly and warm . only the weather is too cold for comfort.I am not so sure abt using www.wikimapia.org ,anyway i will try to login.

Thighland Meng said...

Amos,
The girls here is really beautiful. There are 3 of them from Datong university and they are in the club to help out to prepare dinner and also a BBQ tonite for us. we will be leaving Datong tomorrow morning.

desertrose said...

Stanley, I had the same thought as you, that Meng's food looks more appetising than my food everyday (what do you expect if your office is next to a mamak.. b/fast & lunch eat there). Meng, i thought you threw them a bbq, very clever of you to engage chinese labour to cook instead of doing it yourself? hehe. What material is your new pants? So, didnt i tell you that your clothes werent warm? haha. If still cold, try using fleece, it traps heat, breathable and wicks sweat n dissipates it outwards.

Thighland Meng said...

Desertrose,
I am now ok with my new sleeping bag and track bottom. and we are now in Dongsheng inner Mongolia ,the weather here is not that cold as earlier days.Thanks for always reminding me the cold.